Re: Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:17:38 +0200, "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
> > - Taking time to download and install, which increases the time and
> >   bandwidth needed to install or upgrade a Debian system.
>
> Please drop the "upgrade". If you deinstall it there is no cost at
> upgrading.

I think the point here is that people that accept a default install are
liable to not be brave enough to remove chunks of the system, or even
perceptive enough to notice that some daemon that seems to be surplus to
requirements is running, let alone then doing the work to find out that
they can safely remove it, and then actually do so.

Also, most normal users will never remove it on the basis that it's
"standard" (assuming that they discover that fact).

That being the case, they will get every upgrade.

My brother comes to mind -- he's pretty happy with Debian and if he
didn't know me it's _just_ possible that he'd have installed it himself,
but would have simply accepted every default.  He uses icedove as his
MUA, pointed at a remote SMTP/IMAP server -- I seriously doubt that he'd
ever see root mails, and even if he did, he'd ignore them as he
cheerfully did on all his windows boxen in their death throws -- I'm not
sure what we should do about that, but running exim seems unlikely to be
the answer.

The alternative group that is served by having an MTU, but naive enough
to not know they need one seems to me to be smaller, but maybe I'm
missing something.

Then of course there's the group that probably includes all the people
in this thread, that know exactly when and where they want to install
which MTU.

My preferred default would be postfix, with ssmtp on client type
machines, so I generally preseed all that to avoid pointlessly
installing exim, which of course means that my personal preferences are
totally irrelevant to this discussion, as we're trying to determine
useful defaults for people that will end up living with those defaults.

Cheers, Phil.