Re: *-config programs and multi-arch

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
> | I don't know how pkg-config handles multiarch either, but however
> | it detects the desired host arch (is it just the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> | variable?), your /usr/bin/foo-config shouldn't have to care.
>
> Your cross-toolchain is supposed to set up a symlink from
> /usr/bin/$triplet-pkg-config to /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper which
> will then DTRT.  That's the idea at least, I haven't actually tested
> it.

How is one supposed to make pkg-config use this feature?

I mean, say I do:

   ./configure --host=muckey-muck-muck --build=my-host-type

That generally does something reasonable for compilers, but ... not
for pkg-config, using the normal PKG_... autoconf macros.

A brief browse of the pkg-config docs doesn't show any obvious
user-level way of specifying an alternate host architecture.  There's
the environment variable "PKG_CONFIG_SYSROOT_DIR", but that seems a
little low-level.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to
do, and always a clever thing to say.  -- Will Durant