Re: *-config programs and multi-arch

[Alastair McKinstry]
> What is the preferred solution for handling these in the multi-arch
> debian world?  Currently I am working on providing pkg-config .pc
> files as a replacement (and requesting that upstream deprecate the
> *-config scripts); I could rewrite the adios_config and dap-config
> scripts to read the pkg-config file information

That's what I suggest.  Ship a .pc file in /usr/lib/{arch}/pkgconfig,
ship your foo-config in /usr/bin, and rewrite foo-config to call
pkg-config.  Since your rewritten foo-config is now arch-independent,
your -dev can ship it in /usr/bin and stil be Multi-arch: same.

I don't know how pkg-config handles multiarch either, but however
it detects the desired host arch (is it just the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
variable?), your /usr/bin/foo-config shouldn't have to care.

--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/