Re: dar-static build failure

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Brian May wrote:
> On 27 August 2011 06:38, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > And I do think it is at least a serious bug for libgpg-error-dev to drop its
> > static lib when there are rdepends that require it (dar).  But I am not sure
> > about this one.
>
> The documentation says "makes unrelated software on the system (or the
> whole system) break" for critical. I don't think this is critical...
>
> For serious, it says "is a severe violation of Debian policy (roughly,
> it violates a must or required directive), or, in the package
> maintainer's or release manager's opinion, makes the package
> unsuitable for release" however I don't think this is a violation of
> Debian policy so just sure I can justify serious either.
>
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

Well, it makes other related packages FTBFS.   That warrants either serious
or grave, as it breaks other packages in a way that is considered a serious
bug.  It *also* either makes it unsuitable for release, or make directly
related packages unsuitable for release.  Again, enough for a "serious" bug.

In any case, it is nasty enough that it justifies a delayed NMU restoring
the proper static library.

  Henrique Holschuh