Re: dar-static build failure

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Brian May wrote:
> The dar package is accumulating a number of easy to fix bugs, however
> due to a change in another package, it will no longer build anymore.
> See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=632889
>
> The only thing I can find in the changelog is from a NMU:
>
> === cut ===
> libgpg-error (1.10-0.1) experimental; urgency=low
>
>   * Non-maintainer upload.
> [...]
>   * debian/libgpg-error-dev.install:
>     + don't install unavailable libgpg-error.a
> [...]
>
>  -- Jonas Meurer <mejo@debian.org>  Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:55:05 +0100
> === cut ===
>
> The problem is that the configure test tries to determine if it can
> build the static version or not, and this check fails:
>
> === cut ===
> configure:31794: g++ -o conftest -g -O2 -g -O2 -Wall  -static
> conftest.cpp -lpthread -lattr -lgcrypt -lgpg-error -lbz2 -lz -ldl  >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgpg-error
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> So as a result, it doesn't build the static program.
>
> What should I do?

Assuming that dar does require gpg-error, there are two choices:

1. drop dar-static

2. get libgpg-error-dev to once again ship libgpg-error.a.

And I do think it is at least a serious bug for libgpg-error-dev to drop its
static lib when there are rdepends that require it (dar).  But I am not sure
about this one.

  Henrique Holschuh