Re: Looking for seconds to add the Amazon EC2 public certificate in ca-certificates.

On 08/23/2011 01:54 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Miguel Landaeta <miguel@miguel.cc> writes:
>> Michael Shuler <michael@pbandjelly.org> wrote:
>
>>> This is also my question - is this a CA that will be verifying and
>>> signing other certs? (I'll try to dig on the same info, as well)
>
>> AFAIK, this certificate is only used to encrypt your AMIs and transfer them
>> securely to Amazon. In this way only you and Amazon know about the content
>> of your AMI, Amazon needs this in order to launch your AMIs in their cloud.
>
> Hm, then it's not actually a CA, is it?

My understanding is that it used only when using SOAP to communicate
with AWS. If a tool is going to use REST instead, it is not used. Thus
it is not a CA, and it is used only by fewer tools (REST seems more
popular lately).

I think most of the euca2ool calls are not converted to REST. Not sure
how many SOAP calls are leftover.

cheers
graziano

--