Re: Spending Debian money for porter boxes [Was: The archive now supports xz compression]

Hi,

On Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 20:45:18 +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 09:19:02PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > >
> > > It takes a lot longer to compress on slower architectures (i.e. on the
> > > buildds), though.  You could've built a whole package in that time.  (Resorting
> > > to your style of argument.)
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better to get more buildds for those archs, then?
> > That would be a totally appropriate use of Debian money...

_Personaly_ i think, Debian has more than enough machines. Adding more
machines just to have packages build faster is not a proper solution.
Please keep in mind you need someone to admin those machines.

Also please keep in mind that most hardware for architectures like arm,
mips, mipsel we got are not 'end user hardware' but development boards
and thus have other specs than the end user hardware. The kernel team in
the past and in the present denied to build yet another kernel flavour
for those machines, and this way DSA needs to take care of having up to
date kernels for those machines. This is a no-option.

IF you want to have more hardware, find boards that are/will be
supported by the kernel team and ship them to existing hosting places.
Yet another hosting in someones basement is not an option for a project
machines.

Just my 2¢,

Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>  | Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer           |           Debian Listmaster