Re: The archive now supports xz compression

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Nope, sorry. I was referring to things like GNOME shipping only .tar.xz.
> I mean they would not take such a decision if getting an xz decompressor
> was a pain on many systems.

There is a large distance between systems on which users are likely to
build gnome from scratch (which involves installing many dependencies
anyway), and systems on which users may want to run debootstrap. The
latter can include embedded systems that don't have a compiler and are
not of a common architecture, which makes xz difficult to install.

It would be best if debootstrap's dependencies remained limited to
things that are commonly enabled in busybox.

--
see shy jo