Re: support for installing unconfigured systems (VM images, Debian Live images, preinstalled mobile/tablet images)

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 01:34 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 13, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > Marco, do you have any plans for using this scheme as an option or as
> > > the default?
> Yes, because the upstream maintainers decided that the current scheme
> cannot work and will remove support for it.
> I do not know how long it will be feasible to keep it as a Debian patch.

It works today for many users.  I don't see why it would stop working
for them.

> > This is implemented in the biosdevname package, which I think we should
> I never bothered packaging it because AFAIK it is not needed with recent
> kernels (and recent hardware?).

The kernel will continue to generate names using the formats eth%d,
wlan%d etc.  There needs some userland program to generate the new
device names, whether it's in the udev package or another package.

Ben.