Re: support for installing unconfigured systems (VM images, Debian Live images, preinstalled mobile/tablet images)

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 02:55:51PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> There is a new network device naming scheme that uses physical location
> (slot number or firmware-provided port number) to name PCI network
> devices.  So far this is implemented in Fedora 15 and RHEL 6.1 (!).  I
> assume this would generate consistent device names for network devices
> in VMs if the configurations differ only by MAC address.
>
> Marco, do you have any plans for using this scheme as an option or as
> the default?

This is implemented in the biosdevname package, which I think we should
get into Debian.  I got it into Ubuntu a while back, but have been
neglecting to sync up Debian.  Alex, what's the progress of your ITP
(#617820)?  Would you like to work together based on my Ubuntu package
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/biosdevname), which in turn was
somewhat based on the packaging provided by upstream?