Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:12:02 +0100
Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:48:57AM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > It seems bizarre to me that we require packages to build
> > using software in main to be 'debian', but we wouldn't
> > require it for images distributed as being 'debian'.
>
> What if DFSG tools to produce the proprietary formats were
> available? qemu-img can create vmdk files, for example.

While only shipping images built with free/in debian tools would be
preferable [1] I wouldn't see a reason to object to distributing vmdk
(or $other_proprietary_format) files created by qemu-img along side the
raw/other images

thanks,
kk

[1] in the same way that distributing things in .odt is preferable
to .doc

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au