Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 00:27:09 +0200
Moritz Mühlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I believe it's high time we start to providing Debian in form of
> official virtualisation images. In contrast to the ISOs currently

I'd certainly find qemu-kvm images handy, Problem might be with the
amount of space on the host used by (free space) in the images.

> I think it's sufficient for starters to provide images for stable
> (they can be updated for every few point updates if needed).
>
> What virtualisation solutions should be supported?

> - Vmware has a significant installed base and is relevant, although
>   proprietary
> - Microsoft Virtual PC is likely also needed
> - Citrix XenServer?

Would this require the Debian project to go out and buy various bits of
proprietary software to build the images with?
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)