Re: A few observations about systemd

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:09:02PM -0300, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Marc Haber
> <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:12:13 -0300, Fernando Lemos
> > <fernandotcl@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>A more realistic option would be launching a program (or script) which
> >>would read a configuration file (containing whatever
> >>/etc/default/exim4 contains nowadays) and launch the exim instance(s).
> >
> > So one would have some thing "like an" init script, which would
> > probably have to stay around and monitor the daemon? That doesn't look
> > like an easier way to do things.
>
> The thing you don't seem to get is that systemd uses "init files"
> which are not really scripts.

No. systemd wants to throw out init scripts, because they are shell
scripts, and Shell Scripts Are Bad!!!1!! oh noes.

Personally, I think that's just silly, but YMMV.

At any rate, by not wanting to do scripts, you're making life harder for
yourself, since now you suddenly have to implement everything what
people have trivially done in shell scripts for years in C. Writing
flawless C isn't exactly easy either[1], and even if systemd's author is
a perfect coder (which he isn't, since perfection does not exist),
there's going to be a need to have some other people write some systemd
module at some point in the future, since 'plain' systemd doesn't do
what their software requires, or what their corporate environment likes,
or whatever, and they're going to make mistakes. And as a result, rather
than have an initscript that does the equivalent of "killall -KILL -1",
you're going to have someone implement socket enablement (or whatever
it's called) incorrectly, thereby creating a remotely exploitable buffer
overflow.

I'm sure there's a tradeoff here somewhere that makes all of this a good
idea, but I don't quite see it.

[1] Mind you, I'm not one of those loonies who thinks C should go the
    way of the dinosaur. C has its uses, and I love doing C from time to
    time; but "replacing shellscripts" isn't the first thing that comes
    to mind when I think of "good projects to use C for".

the following formula:

pi zz a