Re: A few observations about systemd

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
> Another would be to ship three systemd units, one being «smtp», one
> the .service file dynamically based on what the admin configures through
> debconf.

If there were systemd units for smtp and the queue runner then the sysadmin
could easily request systemd to stop one without the other.

Sometimes when running an MTA that supports separate functions for queue
running and SMTP it's convenient to be able to run one without the other.
Sometimes it's good to be able to stop one suddenly without interfering with
the other too - so an option of stopping both and then starting one wouldn't
be so good.

I prefer Postfix which doesn't support such things.  But if I was to use Exim
then I would definitely want such flexibility.