Re: [Lennart Poettering] Re: A few observations about systemd

Le mardi 19 juillet 2011 à 21:26 +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> kFreeBSD is currently released as a "technology preview". With that, we
> mean it works, but it isn't necessarily ready yet for prime usage. The
> fact that there currently aren't many users yet isn't surprising in that
> light. However, as the port matures, it's not unthinkable that there
> will be many more users.
>
> Frankly, I'd be somewhat surprised if some time after the release of
> wheezy (but still before wheezy+1), usage of Debian kFreeBSD did not
> surpass that of the i386 port.

You must be joking. So far only a very small subset of packages have
been actually checked as working on kfreebsd. People are not going to
risk seeing a dysfunctional system just so that they have pf and ZFS,
unless they really need it.

> > You disagree with systemd service files being much simpler than sysv
> > init scripts for many daemons?
>
> No, I disagree with your statement that life of many maintainers of
> daemon packages is a complete nightmare currently.
>
> Perhaps some things would be a bit easier to do with systemd unit files;
> but most initscripts are slightly-modified template initscripts from
> dh-make anyway; it's not as if they require a lot of effort to maintain.

It’s not such a lot of effort indeed, but the quality of the result is
not impressive either. Our init scripts are overall inconsistent and
buggy.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :