Re: [Lennart Poettering] Re: A few observations about systemd

I have to agree with Tollef here, the number of uninformed comments
(and even of respected figures like Wouter) is hurting this discussion.
Please people, if you don't want to see this discussion turn into a
troll-flamefest, don't treat it like if it was one!

I am among the people who are proud to see that we managed to achieve
Debian kfreebsd. But I am also among the people who believe that we have
to embrace the future and not just follow 2 years after everyone else has
made the switch. I am very much in favor of switching to some
more modern init system, be it upstart or systemd. It would be insane
to keep insserv just because of kfreebsd.

We should be shaping the future and not be simple followers. I agree
with Joey Hess that we should have init systems that make use of all the
powers of Linux on Linux and make use of all the powers of FreeBSD on
FreeBSD.

This is why interfaces are much more important than the individual
implementations. This is what has been suggested in this thread
(see [🔎] 1311064535.2467.3.camel@kirk">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 1311064535.2467.3.camel@kirk) and
even what Lennart pointed out in his initial blog post [1]:
| If folks want to implement something similar for other operating systems,
| the preferred mode of cooperation is probably that we help you identify
| which interfaces can be shared with your system, to make life easier for
| daemon writers to support both systemd and your systemd counterpart.
| Probably, the focus should be to share interfaces, not code.

It's also relatively close to the position of upstart's upstream from
what I have understood.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Thus, upstream has to jump through a large heap of hoops to support
> systemd properly (and if not going for proper systemd support, making
> use of its new features, I see no point in writing a service file to
> begin with).

Even if you use the good old init script with systemd, you do benefit
from many of its new features like the fact that each daemon is using
its own cgroup and that you can reliably kill it and all its childrens.

Cheers,

[1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer