Re: "register" files in dpkg database programmatically?

]] Peter Samuelson

| - Treat the file as though it were shipped in the package directly.
|   This means it is removed on package upgrade, as well as on package
|   removal.  This is very straightforward (append the filename to
|   /var/lib/dpkg/info/{foo}.list), but perhaps not too useful.

This is useful for stuff like byte-compiled files, I think.

| - Do not remove the file on package upgrade, but do remove it when
|   removing the package.

Not entirely sure what this would be useful for, but I haven't thought
much about it.  Would only be useful for files which rarely change and
which are costly to regenerate or download.  Maybe for data files such
as the flightgear terrain and planes somebody posted about the other
day?

| - Only remove the file on package purge.  Call it the ucf use case.

This sounds very useful, I think.

Regards,
--
Tollef Fog Heen