Re: Whether should grub2 write MBR automatic

On 06/22/2011 06:07 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> More packages means more user confusion.  And the first behaviour is
> definitely the correct default, as installing a boot loader package
> almost always means you want to install the boot loader in the boot
> sector.
>
> What is your use case for the second behaviour?

almost always is almost wrong.

I e.g. have extlinux installed as a package, but not in the mbr (for
preparing bootable usb drives with unetbootin).
The same might apply for grub(.*) because you want to create a bootable
efi disk while your machine has pc bios and vice versa.

Imagine some more [need bootloader to prepare/fix something] sitautions
here.