Re: Whether should grub2 write MBR automatic

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 11:33 +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
> When update to grub-pc 1.99-8, it write my MBR, then I report a bug.

> and Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> tell me that it's a new feature.
> Y, it maybe, he tell to install grub-pc-bin only, but this package has
> no kernel hook even.
>
> Here is my suggestion:
>     make 3 packages:
>             one calls upgrade-grub and grub-install;
>             one calls only upgrade-grub.
>             one calls nothing.
>     and, the second one should be the default.

More packages means more user confusion.  And the first behaviour is
definitely the correct default, as installing a boot loader package
almost always means you want to install the boot loader in the boot
sector.

What is your use case for the second behaviour?

> Don't do it like M$.

Oh, grow up.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I'm always amazed by the number of people who take up solipsism because