Uploading to multiple distros

Didier Raboud writes ("Re: Color Management in Debian"):
> Given that Debian is currently not frozen (and that the Oneiric
> release will very probably happen before Wheezy's), I really think
> that not uploading those packages to Debian first would be a shame,
> as this would only mean doubling efforts.

As a structural matter I think it's wrong to have either Debian or
Ubuntu end up being blocked on the other, if it can be avoided.  One
of the ways that free software really works well is that it enables
people to get their work done right away and worry about interacting
with others later.

One thing I have done a few times is to upload the very same package
simultaneously to (say) Debian and Ubuntu.

Where the package wants to be identical, and the person doing the
upload is the same, it would be nice if this could be made simpler.
At the moment you basically need to build the whole thing twice with
minor edits to the changelog to set the target suite.

It would be nice if this could be made simpler.  In principle it would
be nice if you could use the same .changes file for uploading to two
distros (provided that only one of them wants binaries) but that may
be too much to ask.

At the very least it should be possible to do one upload to two
distros without altering the debian/changelog.

For this to work I think the "suite" target in the changelog entry
should be qualified by the distro, so you could say (picking a random
example):

  picocom (1.4-1) debian:unstable ubuntu:oneiric; urgency=low

    * new upstream version:
      - Changed the behavior of the C-a command. Now pressing C-a
	   twice sends C-a to the serial port
      - Added the C-\ command that generates a break sequence
      - Added (optional) UUCP-lockfiles support

   -- Oliver Kurth <oku@debian.org>  Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:25:07 -0700

or something.

What do people think ?

Ian.