Re: packaging-dev meta package

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com> writes:

> This could be useful. A couple of suggestions:

> Keep vcs specific tools (git-buildpackage, bzr-builddeb,
> svn-buildpackage) in the Recommends field so they are not hard
> dependencies.

A fancier thing to do would be to build separate packaging-dev-<vcs>
packages for each popular VCS (I'd recommend bzr, Subversion, and Git to
start with, maybe Mercurial too), which would depend on the VCS packages
used for doing Debian development with that VCS plus the most popular
helper tools.  That might be a nice compromise between making that a
one-stop-shop and not installing whole VCS systems that people aren't
using.