Re: packaging-dev meta package

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org> wrote:
> As a starting point packaging-dev would depend on
>
> build-essential
> quilt
> debhelper
> cmake
> autoconf
> cdbs
> bzr-builddeb
> apt-file
> ubuntu-dev-tools (only on Ubuntu systems)
>
> Do you like the idea or not? Do you have a better name for the meta
> package? Should something added to or removed from the dependency list?

This could be useful. A couple of suggestions:

Keep vcs specific tools (git-buildpackage, bzr-builddeb,
svn-buildpackage) in the Recommends field so they are not hard
dependencies.

I suppose you don't you don't list devscripts, gnupg, lintian, dput |
dupload, and dh-make (there are probably some others) as they are
pulled in by other packages. I would explicitly depend on them

Recommends on pbuilder | cowbuilder?.

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Contributor