Re: some thoughts on DEP-5

On Sb, 21 mai 11, 09:55:48, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 11-05-20 at 07:53pm, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
>
> > 3) Just a cosmetic/perfectionist issue:
> > People would probably simply use the examples in DEP5 for the
> > formulation of their pointers, currently:
> > >On Debian systems, the full text of the GNU General Public License
> > >version 2 can be found in the file
> > >`/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2'.
> > may I suggest, as we have UTF-8 and so anyway to use the "right"
> > quotation marks, and perhaps also to quote the name of the license, so
> > that we'd have:
> > >On Debian systems, the full text of the “GNU General Public License
> > >version 2” can be found in the file
> > >“/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2”.
>
> Good point.  I like that.  Just as that suddle change of implicitly
> using it in examples - not explicitly encouraging it in text.
>
> ...but not a strong point: I suggest to keep this in mind for a later
> revision of DEP-5, and let the current one become final as-is.

While I'm a strong supporter of UTF-8[1] I don't think it's a good idea
to use non-ASCII characters unless really needed[2], since things will
look ugly non-UTF-8 systems, and this does *not* help speed up adoption
of UTF-8.

[1] none of the legacy ISO-* encodings has full support for my native
language, including quotation marks
[2] Author names would be a good reason to use UTF-8

Regards,
Andrei