Re: some thoughts on DEP-5

On 11-05-20 at 07:53pm, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> 1) The description of the License field says:
> >Otherwise, this field should either include the full text
> >of the license(s) or include a pointer to the license file under
> >`/usr/share/common-licenses`.
>
> This could be interpreted as if just the pointer would be enough,
> which is however (AFAIU) not what is meant by the policy 12.5, which
> says a verbatim copy must be included and the pointer is (AFAIU) just
> something that should be given in addition?!

DEP-5 is an (optional!) addition to Debian Policy: Nothing in DEP-5
overrides requirements in Debian Policy.

I suspect such false interpretation could only occur if only reading
DEP-5 (not Debian Policy), which is bad in itself.  It is wrong approach
IMO to extend DEP-5 with material from Debian Policy - instead the
relationship with Debian Policy should be emphasized if needed.

> 2) In general it might be worth suggest that pointer being given in
> the Comment field, IMO it's not really part of the license. e.g.
> >Comment: On Debian systems, the full text of the “GNU General Public
> >License version 3” can be found in the file
> >“/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3”.
>
> But then one would possibly also need to allow the Comment field for
> the stand-alone License paragraphs.

Hmm - This sounds very much like my current practice.

I use the License field strictly for verbatim copied text, so as to
allow potential future automated verifications of it. Commonly I move
2 kind of info into a Comment field:

 a) reference to actual license when applicable
 b) reference to canonical source of license

The reason for b) is our common practice in Debian to update/replace
that when upstream reference is obsolete - which in effect renders the
text no longer a verbatim copy.

Is the following (from packaging of 4store, but similar to ~100 other
packages) in violation with current DEP-5?:

License: LGPL-2.1+^GNULibC
 The GNU C Library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
 published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the
 License, or (at your option) any later version.
 .
 The GNU C Library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 Lesser General Public License for more details.
Comment:
 On Debian systems the full text of the GNU Lesser General Public
 License (LGPL) version 2.1 can be found in
 '/usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2.1'.
 .
 You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
 License along with this program.  If not, see
 <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

> 3) Just a cosmetic/perfectionist issue:
> People would probably simply use the examples in DEP5 for the
> formulation of their pointers, currently:
> >On Debian systems, the full text of the GNU General Public License
> >version 2 can be found in the file
> >`/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2'.
> may I suggest, as we have UTF-8 and so anyway to use the "right"
> quotation marks, and perhaps also to quote the name of the license, so
> that we'd have:
> >On Debian systems, the full text of the “GNU General Public License
> >version 2” can be found in the file
> >“/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2”.

Good point.  I like that.  Just as that suddle change of implicitly
using it in examples - not explicitly encouraging it in text.

...but not a strong point: I suggest to keep this in mind for a later
revision of DEP-5, and let the current one become final as-is.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas