Re: Sponsorship in Debian (Re: Ubuntu-originated packages in Debian (Re: ubuntu keyring?))

Hi Joey,

On Freitag, 20. Mai 2011, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I'm not in the position to judge this, but the DM application /seems/ to
> > be understand as proof the applicant "knows advanced packaging(tm)".
> This is entirely backwards. A DM who is not maintaining shared libraries
> does not need to know how to package shared libraries. A DM who is not
> maintaining a daemon does not need to know how to package a daemon. A DM
> who is not maintaining an Essential package does not need to know how to
> make robust Essential packages. Each NEW package a Debian Maintainer
> makes has to be vetted by some DD, so it's entirely fine for them to start
> off with only enough knowledge to maintain the single package they have
> in the archive.

Right. Thanks for reminding us! So how do we fix this again?

I'm the DD Arno mentioned, who would advocate him for DD but not for DM.
Reading this thread I'm thinking about changing my mind...

cheers,
	Holger