Re: Anyone looking at darcs?

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 21:51 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 01:39:11PM +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> > On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 13:00, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > You are sharing good info, but you could have been more kind.
>
> I guess Tshepang meant "kind" = "hand holding".

I didn't mean that. But the negative responses don't seem to me to be a
solution. If anything, someone looking at this sees nothing but
immaturity. Little things like this will let others think that the
Debian community isn't a friendly bunch. It's worse when it comes from
an official DD.

Anyways, since the person asking was pointed to the right resources
anyways, why add the negativity. "No, do it this way, you dummy!". How
about if that becomes, "No, do it this way". Or if that's too
unsatisfying, stay away or leave a link. Have a bunch of links ready for
cases where you think you've noticed a dummy.

> The burden of learning such basics lies with the contributor.  Lack of
> such due diligence is not so welcomed. Although Sandro made a very
> terse explanation from a point of view of normal life, I consider his
> effort to be very informative one.  I consider this to be "kind" but
> "terse".

It was kind because the info was offered, but it was unkind because the
guy was ridiculed. It's simply not needed. It just doesn't help. It even
makes people scared of asking questions. There's ways of saying that you
disapprove of people lacking diligence without being negative.

> > from a guy (co)maintaining 22 packages in main you could expect more
> > than that. and where was rudeness? should I add flowers and kisses to
> > emails?

That this guy does so much work for Debian makes him deserve even more
respect than usual I think.

> Maybe Sandro did not need some "sarcasm" in his reply but I fully
> understand his feeling and I support him ... I think here is a typical
> gap of expectation around Debian.  In order to reduce this kind of
> tension, I recently added few reminders in mant-guide as "Social
> dynamics of Debian".
>
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/start.en.html#socialdynamics
>
> Friendly cooperation is the driving force.
>  * Your contribution should not overstrain others.
>  * Your contribution is valuable only when others appreciate it.
>
> Debian is not your school where you get automatic attention of teachers.
>  * You should be able to learn many things by yourself.
>  * Attention from other volunteers is a very scarce resource.
>
> Osamu

Good work there. I agree.