New virtual package(s) for different kinds of httpd (fastcgi etc)

Package: debian-policy
Version: 3.9.2.0
Severity: wishlist

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 07:55:33PM +0200, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> On 18/05/2011 19:38, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Anton Martchukov <anton@martchukov.com> writes:
> >
> >> I wanted to install MoinMoin wiki (python-moinmoin) using
> >> FastCGI on nginx web server (nginx-full), but python-moinmoin
> >> brings Apache web server into the system due to its
> >> dependencies:
> >
> >> python-moinmoin depends on libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-cgi
> >
> >> nginx-full provides httpd
> >
> >> I would submit a bug report on any of those packages, but
> >> it does not appear clear to me:
> >
> >> 1. Virtual package httpd-cgi is this only plain CGI or also
> >> can be FactCGI too? In case with nginx, it does not support
> >> plain old CGI, but does support FastCGI (plus SCGI and WSGI).
> >
> >> 2. libapache2-mod-wsgi is not the only WSGI web server
> >> available.
> >
> >> 3. moinmoin is not limited to WCGI and CGI and also can
> >> be run with built-in web server, FastCGI, SCGI and AJP.
> >
> >> The bottom line is that we are probably missing a bunch of
> >> virtual packages like:
> >
> >> httpd-fastcgi
> >> httpd-wsgi
> >> httpd-scgi
> >> httpd-ajp
>
> +1
> especially for the distinction between httpd-fcgi and httpd-cgi.
> Note that "fcgi" name is more used than "fastcgi" in packages names.
>
> > httpd-wsgi has already been requested.  See #588497.  So far, no one seems
> > to have run into a practical requirement for the others, although if you
> > have some cases where we'd use them (as opposed to just a theoretical
> > need), please do file a debian-policy bug about that.
>
> I have the feeling it is a good idea to enforce web servers to declare their
> abilities like that. Today many webapps can run through fcgi, whether they are
> in php, ruby, c... but they can't state that fact in their control fields.
> Instead, i've seen some of them depend on apache2, whereas they can run with
> any other httpd-fcgi (example: roundcube-core)
> Trouble is i'm not good at argumenting this in a bug report.

I think you've made yourself clear. Let's just open the bug with this
mail to track what's already been said.

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de