Re: httpd-cgi is it really CGI or maybe *CGI instead

On 18/05/2011 19:38, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Anton Martchukov <anton@martchukov.com> writes:
>
>> I wanted to install MoinMoin wiki (python-moinmoin) using
>> FastCGI on nginx web server (nginx-full), but python-moinmoin
>> brings Apache web server into the system due to its
>> dependencies:
>
>> python-moinmoin depends on libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-cgi
>
>> nginx-full provides httpd
>
>> I would submit a bug report on any of those packages, but
>> it does not appear clear to me:
>
>> 1. Virtual package httpd-cgi is this only plain CGI or also
>> can be FactCGI too? In case with nginx, it does not support
>> plain old CGI, but does support FastCGI (plus SCGI and WSGI).
>
>> 2. libapache2-mod-wsgi is not the only WSGI web server
>> available.
>
>> 3. moinmoin is not limited to WCGI and CGI and also can
>> be run with built-in web server, FastCGI, SCGI and AJP.
>
>> The bottom line is that we are probably missing a bunch of
>> virtual packages like:
>
>> httpd-fastcgi
>> httpd-wsgi
>> httpd-scgi
>> httpd-ajp

+1
especially for the distinction between httpd-fcgi and httpd-cgi.
Note that "fcgi" name is more used than "fastcgi" in packages names.

> httpd-wsgi has already been requested.  See #588497.  So far, no one seems
> to have run into a practical requirement for the others, although if you
> have some cases where we'd use them (as opposed to just a theoretical
> need), please do file a debian-policy bug about that.

I have the feeling it is a good idea to enforce web servers to declare their
abilities like that. Today many webapps can run through fcgi, whether they are
in php, ruby, c... but they can't state that fact in their control fields.
Instead, i've seen some of them depend on apache2, whereas they can run with
any other httpd-fcgi (example: roundcube-core)
Trouble is i'm not good at argumenting this in a bug report.

Jérémy.