Re: Writing to /etc/ from a "privileged" UI

On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:21:21 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> On Mon, 09 May 2011 at 09:39:07 +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> > I took a look at how NetworkManager handles that: it stores configuration
> > using gconf, so it's not really comparable
>
> NM can go either way - it'll use the current user's gconf for connections
> that are not "shared with other users", which is the default, or flat files
> in /etc for connections that are shared.
>
> I seem to remember newer NM versions (in experimental) have changed the
> default to be the other way round, on the basis that network connections are
> system-wide, so their configuration should be system-wide too.

That's what I tend to think as well.
In the bugreport, I first thought about per-user configuration (something like
~/.config/wicd/...), but then I realised that it's non-sense, since network
connections are system-wide AFAIK.

David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino