Re: Writing to /etc/ from a "privileged" UI

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 11:29:07AM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:21:21 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > I seem to remember newer NM versions (in experimental) have changed the
> > default to be the other way round, on the basis that network connections are
> > system-wide, so their configuration should be system-wide too.
>
> That's what I tend to think as well.
> In the bugreport, I first thought about per-user configuration (something like
> ~/.config/wicd/...), but then I realised that it's non-sense, since network
> connections are system-wide AFAIK.

OTOH, credentials supplied to connect to a network can be user data. Indeed,
having them as such means they can be protected (by using a keyring scheme like
gnome-keyring, for example).  Also encrypted $HOME is more common than
encrypted /, I expect.

"multi-user" and "concurrent use" are different things.  If I loan my laptop to
my brother, we are not concurrently changing system-wide network state;
however, I may not want him to read my WPA passphrase and/or VPN connection
details out of a file in /etc.

--
Jon Dowland