Re: Integrating aptosid?

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 05:32:41PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2011, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> > > Or am I missing some substantial design issue which is still lacking
> > > from http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines
> > Sounds like the "Debian Pure Blends" [0] [1], with the difference that they
> > seem to use tasks instead of metapackages if I understood it correclty.
> tasks are used to create the metapackages ;)

Exactly (just uploaded metapackages for Debian Science generated from
tasks files :-)).
> blends are indeed very very related indeed.  Historically though they
> became of wider scope and deeper coverage, than I think many of
> the derivatives, which are often just customized package selection +
> design + custom installer/live-media.

The reasons why Blends have a focus on a certain workfield is that there
was simply no intend to generate a Debian derivative (the idea was just
to sit inside Debian).  However, I do not see a reason why the Blends
concept should not be enhanced to more general customisation.  That's
just a question of the content where you let the techniques (as well as
the conceptual ideas) work on.
> So, theoretically, blends mechanism could be extended to actually
> provide such customized installer + appearance...

> or may be Debian
> installer itself could be used out of the box to provide a selection
> among blends and their tasks and even within the tasks, because some
> tasks cover too much of the software instances, not reasonable to have
> pre-installed them all at once.

I'm for a long time in preference of this but that's a different topic.
> But altogether the point is that indeed, it would be nice we somehow we
> could bring derivatives communities closer to Debian so they do not
> loose their originality/projects but infuse their work into Debian
> meanwhile.

On Debian Med list we try to teach derivatives with the same focus as
Debian Med to use our Blends techniques (which also work for derivatives
as well).

Kind regards

PS: Yaroslav, it was nice to read that you share the same dream (expressed in
    your previous mail) as me. :-)