Re: Warm up discussion about desktop files [Was: Lintian check for missing desktop files?]

* Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> [110419 09:41]:
> On 2011-04-18, Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
> > Currently there is none of this[1]. I think it makes no sense to discuss
> > if things should have desktop files or whether it makes sense to
> > remove the old working system.
>
> what do you miss from the xdg specs?

The "Desktop Entry Specification" mostly describes the format, with some
very short sentences about Name, GenericName and Comment. Categories
only refers to the "Desktop Menu Specification" (which only handles
OnlyShownIn and NotShownIn though not advertised here).

The "Desktop Menu Specification" (which for the most interesting stuff
to users like where things are again refers to the "desktop base
directory specification" and now finally even got a link to that...)
finally has in the appendix a list of "Registered Categories"
and values for "OnlyShowIn" and "NotShowIn".

Most of those "Categories" have a description of only one or two words
(unless counting "a" then most have two or three).

OnlyShowIn/NotShownIn only gives meaning. There is nothing that says
when those should be used (or whether they may be used in Debian).

Compare this to http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/

Especially I miss something as easy to read and as complete in one place as
"http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/ch3.html";
and
"http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/ch6.html";.

And in terms of policy I miss a better description of the Categories,
better rules how Name/GenericName/Comment should be written and when
OnlyShowIn/NotShownIn are to be used.

	Bernhard R. Link