Re: Warm up discussion about desktop files [Was: Lintian check for missing desktop files?]

* Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> [110418 15:33]:
> As far as I understood [1] fvwm 2.6 now can use XDG menus.  So it might
> be that even fvwm users will be happy about desktop files.  Can we now
> come back to the discussion whether it might make sense to have desktop
> files for desktop applications?

As I said in multiple other discussions about this: Please write
a policy how .desktop files in Debian should look like and some
documentation for maintainers what the categories means and
some documentation for users how to do the basic things like
overriding a menu entry.

Currently there is none of this[1]. I think it makes no sense to discuss
if things should have desktop files or whether it makes sense to
remove the old working system.

	Bernhard R. Link

P.S.: While icewm does support XDG menu the first I do is disable it
so that users are not confused by it.