Re: Static libraries in development packages

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 09:47:08AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Steve M. Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> wrote:
> >> As I've come to understanding, nowadays many libraries doesn't allow
> >> trivial static linkage,

> > I don't follow; it's generally as simple as using -static on
> > the link line.  Pretty trivial.
> [...]

> Unless your are trying to link against a library that uses other
> libraries ...

In which case, since you're using pkg-config already, all you have to do is
pass --static to pkg-config --libs too.

Still pretty trivial.  Remember that in the whole wide world of Unix
linkers, glibc is an *anomaly* in being able to recursively resolve ELF
dependencies; on most other systems, users have to construct the same sort
of commandline for *dynamic* linking as we do for static linking.  So
there's been quite a lot of effort put into making it easy to construct
these commandlines automatically (pkg-config and libtool).  libtool's method
of course has nasty side-effects for our common case that have led us to
prefer stripping out the dependency information, but pkg-config still makes
this pretty easy.