Re: Static libraries in development packages

> As I've come to understanding, nowadays many libraries doesn't allow
> trivial static linkage,

I don't follow; it's generally as simple as using -static on
the link line.  Pretty trivial.

> and that it's generally not recommended to
> link statically in packages.

That is completely separate from the question of whether Debian should
provide static libraries for users to link with.  I don't see that it
should have any bearing.

> Thus I think we should consider updating the policy to either
> specify that a development package should provide a static library
> if possible,

I agree with this sentiment.

-Steve