Re: Static libraries in development packages

]] Russell Coker

Hi,

| After Lenny was released I developed fixes for a number of serious library
| bugs that caused an important application written for one of my clients to
| crash.  As some of the deployment platforms couldn't be guaranteed to have the
| patched versions of the libraries without extreme effort (due to customers
| having some interesting procedures for determining which updates were applied)
| the easiest solution was to statically link every library that needed a patch.

Wouldn't just shipping known-good dynamic libs and linking with rpath
and $ORIGIN be much simpler?  As a bonus, it makes it a) possible to
update the libraries if the admin wants to and b) it makes it clear what
libraries your binary depends on, without having to pull apart the
binary and guess.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen