Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 04:41:56PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
>
> > If it wasn't already clear, having /tmp as a tmpfs is a
> > /configurable option/, and it is /not/ the default (except when
> > root is read-only (ro) in fstab).
>
> I hope you check the fstab first. If there is a entry for a non tmpfs
> /tmp filesystem then that should be used. I'm assuming you do but just
> to be sure...

No, we don't check.  It's up to the admin to configure their
system properly.  If there is an entry in in fstab, it'll be
mounted on top of the tmpfs, so the system will be configured
the way they asked, but there will be a hidden tmpfs mount.
But they would have explicitly needed to set RAMTMP=yes to get
into this situation.

For new installs, where the default /etc/default/rcS files does
set RAMTMP=yes by default, the fstab file will not yet contain
any user-specific mounts.  If they do want to manuall mount
something on /tmp, then they simply set RAMTMP=no.

Note this behaviour is exactly the same as existing practice for
/dev/shm, /var/run and /var/lock.

Regards,
Roger

--