Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:32:42 +0100
Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:38:03PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> Following the discussion yesterday, I'd like to propose doing
> something like the example below.  It's possible to size a tmpfs
> as a percentage of core memory, the default being -o size=50%.
> Rather than setting an absolute value, we can size e.g. /run
> as a percentage of total memory, which should scale with /run
> usage better than a fixed value.
>
> Proposal:
[...]
> /run/shm: No default (use general tmpfs default of 20%)
> /tmp: No default (use general tmpfs default of 20%)

20% doesn't seem like a lot for /tmp when people try and compile
something. While its not something most people end up doing, it does
seem odd to make people change their tempfs size before they can start
building packages for debian/themselves.
just a thought,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)