Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

"John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell" <johnandsara2@cox.net> writes:

> I'm reading (can't spend allot of time though, I'll try)
> 	initscripts_2.88dsf-13.3_amd64.deb
> 	sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.3.dsc
>
> I'm thinking (I'm not sure) that Bastien is working on this.  He'd
> mentioned issues between sysinit and running on certain vservers.
>
> While reading scripts it reminded me, /etc/default, I have an older
> bug / comment to mention!  There shouldn't be any "magic" in
> /etc/default.
>
> It's a bad practice to have magic in /etc/default.  Any magic an init
> script needs to remain right in the init script itself.  Why?
>
> 	1) so the two are never separated
> 	2) so a lack of "defaults" doesn't ammount to broken initscript
> 	3) so if I use MY init script, or an older one, it is not foo'd
>
> thanks I hope that helps anyone :)
>
> John

Like using a construct like this?

# Set default values
# Do not change them here, edit /etc/default/foo to customize

FOO=42
BAR=23

# Source customization
[ -f /etc/default/foo ] && . /etc/default/foo

Is what you mean? At least for variable where being empty isn't a sane
default.

MfG
        Goswin