Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

Hi there!

Just to be sure everyone gets it correctly...

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:15:07 +0200, Roger Leigh wrote:
> If it wasn't already clear, having /tmp as a tmpfs is a
> /configurable option/, and it is /not/ the default (except when
> root is read-only (ro) in fstab).

Sorry, having /tmp as a tmpfs can be ATM set *manually* (i.e. not
managed by any Debian configuration file), I have asked for having
RAMTMP quite a long time ago, but I have been ignored since then:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/402828>

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:49:15 +0200, Roger Leigh wrote:
> I would very much appreciate it if anyone could take the time to
> install the new initscripts and test it out.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/run/sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.3.dsc
> http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/run/initscripts_2.88dsf-13.3_amd64.deb
[...]
> So, by default, you get (separate tmpfs mounts):
> /run
> /run/shm
> /lib/init/rw
>
> (RAMLOCK=no, RAMSHM=yes, RAMTMP=no)

Bingo, thank you for finally supporting RAMTMP :-)

However, as I was discussing at [1], I still think that RAMLOCK and
RAMSHM are misleading names and they should be something like
LOCK_OWN_TMPFS and SHM_OWN_TMPFS.  RUNLOCK and RUNSHM would have been
better, but this would mean that RUNLOCK=yes by default.

[1] <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/%3c8739ln6wdi.fsf%40gismo.pca.it%3e>

> For additional safety and security, it's possible to mount everything
> as separate tmpfs filesystems:
>
> /run
> /run/shm
> /run/lock
> /lib/init/rw
> /tmp
>
> (RAMLOCK=yes, RAMSHM=yes, RAMTMP=yes).  This lets one have separate
> size limits and mount modes for each mount.
>
> Alternatively, it's possible to have everything on a single /run
> tmpfs, including /tmp (excluding /lib/init/rw, which will be
> removed soon):
>
> /run
> /lib/init/rw
> /tmp → /run/tmp
>
> (RAMLOCK=no, RAMSHM=no, RAMTMP=no).  Note that /tmp was symlinked
> to /run/tmp prior to restarting, and /run/tmp was created by the
> init scripts (mountkernfs).  The symlink needs creating by hand
> should you wish to do this.  Having /tmp as a symlink can be used
> whatever the setting of RAMTMP, so you could have a tmpfs mounted
> on /run/tmp if you chose.

Sorry, but why does using RAMSHM=no causes /tmp to be a symlink?  AFAIK
these are two different and unrelated things.

Continuing the very same comment above on variable names, while we are
at it and if this could be a (sort of) "common" setup, could we add
support for something like RUNTMP, i.e. "symling /tmp to /run/tmp"?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca