Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

On to, 2011-04-14 at 10:44 +0200, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> And moreover for scientific computation /tmp need to be on an
> harddisk. I do not want my 16GiB matric to go to memory when I have
> only 8GiB of RAM....

That sounds like you'd be better off using /var/tmp instead, actually.

> Please do not put /tmp on tmpfs use a bind mount of a rw partition

No configuration for /tmp is going to be suitable for every purpose, I'm
afraid. That's why it's so great that we have a standard way of
overriding the location for temporary files: $TMPDIR.

(Me, I'd quite like to see /tmp go away completely.)

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/