Re: "Python2.6 as default"

On Apr 11, 2011, at 07:22 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>Hopefully it will gain additional sanity before approval (the authors did
>improve it based on comments I sent them it could still be better). The
>notion that /usr/bin/python pointing to any python3 version in the near term
>is anything other than crazy talk is, well, crazy.

I agree we're[*] not there yet.  But I do think we're at a tipping point.
At Pycon 2011, where in previous years the responses were largely "we have no
plans to port to Python 3", it's now quite common to hear "we have an
experimental branch to support it" or "people are working on it".  So I do
think it's worth Debian thinking about, planning for, and possibly helping
with a transition to Python 3.

Python 2 won't go away any time soon.  If I had to guess, I'd say we're
probably 18-24 months away from actually being *able* to make python3 the
default, which I think is pretty well aligned with Guido's 5-year plan.

Cheers,
-Barry

[*] and by "we" I mean the larger Python community, not just Debian.