Re: [Pkg-samba-maint] Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:08:30PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Roger Leigh
>
> | I think that if we have /run/lock, /run/shm makes sense (how different
> | are locks and POSIX semaphores?  They are just a different type of
> | lock (broadly).  And shared memory is ephemeral state, just like
> | samba's state etc.).  So I would argue that it does fit.  But this
> | isn't a universally held opinion.  Is there any rationale against
> | doing this?
>
> /dev/shm is POSIX shared memory, not just semaphores, afaik?

Yes, it's used for both.

> | I'm not as sure about /run/tmp, though all the files under /run
> | are strictly temporary, they are pretty much all system files
> | rather than being owned by users (though /run/lock and /run/shm
> | would be user-writable;  however, there are proposals to restrict
> | access to /lock as on Fedora).
>
> I'd rather not make /tmp a tmpfs, and there's no reason for it to live
> under /run.  It might also reasonably be namespaced for different users
> and so on, so moving it somewhere else than /tmp is, IMO, silly.

One reason for doing this is to have a single writable mount on the
system, which might be useful for tiny systems with minimal
resources, where root is r/o.  On such a system, it might be useful
to pool the limited writable space (which might not be a tmpfs).

This isn't a common use case, but one of the considerations in the
patch is to make read-only root possible, and since one of the
changes is to automatically mount a tmpfs on /tmp if root is
read-only, I thought it was worth asking the question if it could be
shared with the existing tmpfs filesystems on the system.  While a
tmpfs on /tmp isn't going to be the default, the patch does add
support for it (RAMTMP).

Regards,
Roger

--