Re: [Pkg-samba-maint] Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

]] Roger Leigh

| I think that if we have /run/lock, /run/shm makes sense (how different
| are locks and POSIX semaphores?  They are just a different type of
| lock (broadly).  And shared memory is ephemeral state, just like
| samba's state etc.).  So I would argue that it does fit.  But this
| isn't a universally held opinion.  Is there any rationale against
| doing this?

/dev/shm is POSIX shared memory, not just semaphores, afaik?

| I'm not as sure about /run/tmp, though all the files under /run
| are strictly temporary, they are pretty much all system files
| rather than being owned by users (though /run/lock and /run/shm
| would be user-writable;  however, there are proposals to restrict
| access to /lock as on Fedora).

I'd rather not make /tmp a tmpfs, and there's no reason for it to live
under /run.  It might also reasonably be namespaced for different users
and so on, so moving it somewhere else than /tmp is, IMO, silly.

--
Tollef Fog Heen