Re: Shipping /bin/sh [Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?]

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 11:42:12PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 06:52:41PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > We have the same problem with awk since ages. We should fix both
> > problems together. Therefor I propose the following:
>
> - An essential or pseudo-essential (dependency or pre-dependency from an
>   essential package) may include a new maintainer script called
>   "bootstrap" in its control.tar.

> - It must be called outside of the new root, so it can assume that it
>   can execute some essential commands.

What about making that "essential commands" mean "present on any popular
POSIXy environment"?  Explicitely including busybox.  Debootstrap is
something you're likely to run from Red Hat, etc, setups, so assuming
Debian tools are present would be a regression.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be