Re: MBF la-file-removal: links-not-existing-la

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 03:51:18PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Some package have .la files that depends against not existing .la
> > files. These can be found by looking at links-not-existing-la tag in
> > aba script output.

> Let's get the first phase of dependency_libs sorted out and then look
> at which ones remain with links-not-existing-la. There's enough to do
> right now with just the dependency_libs.

links-not-existing-la are a strict subset of dependency_libs.  It refers to
.la files that have a dependency_libs field that /is currently broken/.

> I'm not aware of any actual problems arising from links-not-existing-la
> - do you have evidence that such .la files have caused build errors?

I think you must have not grokked the meaning of this tag then, because this
is the *core* of the problem with .la files as they exist today and is
precisely *what* causes build failures.

But I don't think we need to treat these separately.  Just fix all the
dependency_libs fields at one go rather than worrying about which ones are
the higher priority within that set.