Re: Shipping /bin/sh [Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?]

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 07:31:08PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> writes:
> > - An essential or pseudo-essential (dependency or pre-dependency from an
> >   essential package) may include a new maintainer script.
> > - This must be a /bin/sh script.
> > - It may be called after the initial unpack of the bootstrap process.
> > - It must be called outside of the new root, so it can assume that it
> >   can execute some essential commands.
> You then need a way to pass the location of the chroot to the new
> maintainer script. So a slightly different (or extended) interface
> compare to pre/posrinst/rm. But this might do as a general solution for
> both /bin/sh and /usr/bin/awk. Both could have a (lets call it)
> DEBIAN/bootstrap scrtipt.

Well, we could just use the working directory.

>                                                 Is there a debootstrap
> for windows (or similar) that would have problems executing a /bin/sh
> script?

No, there is not. Also Windows is not able to write filesystems suitable
for a Debian root filesystem.

Bastian

--
The joys of love made her human and the agonies of love destroyed her.
		-- Spock, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5842.8