Re: MBF la-file-removal: links-not-existing-la

[Neil Williams]
> I'm not aware of any actual problems arising from links-not-existing-la
> - do you have evidence that such .la files have caused build errors?

Last I checked, this would cause an error if you try to build something
using libtool and it has dangling .la files in its dependency_libs.

What I wonder, though, is if this can be corrected with a simple
binNMU.  As a random example:

    tidy: depended-on (libopkele)
    libopkele: dependency_libs

If the 'tidy' maintainer were to remove /usr/lib/libtidy.la, wait for
tidy to build on all architectures, then ask for a binNMU of libopkele,
I think libtool will then DTRT.  However, intentionally making someone
else's package RC buggy for a couple of days might be frowned upon.  Is
it a reasonable thing to do in unstable?

--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/