Re: Bash-completion with triggers

David Paleino <dapal@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:16:20 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
>> You'd better use some apt hook to do the task you envision. A file
>> trigger that is activated for a majority of package installation is
>> probably better dealt with such a solution.
>
> Which hook would you suggest?
>
> Reading apt.conf(5), I find: Dpkg::Pre-Invoke, Dpkg::Post-Invoke and
> Dpkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs. I think the first two are run at each unpacking (thus
> are unsuitable to me, it would be much slower than now), and the latter is
> _before_ installing packages.
> Why there's no Dpkg::Post-Install-Pkgs? :)

Dpkg::Post-Invoke would be the right (best available) one. That would
call your trigger after every dpkg invocation, what Raphael fears will
hapen with our trigger anyway but without the trigger-waiting state.

But those hooks would only wotk for apt/aptitude. Not for invoking dpkg
or cupt or others, which I think rules them out anyway.

MfG
        Goswin