Re: Bash-completion with triggers

Hello Goswin,
re-putting debian-devel in the loop, since I believe you forgot it.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:20:34 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> David Paleino <dapal@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> > I've implemented a new revision of bash-completion, which uses
> > debtriggers(5) to load only relevant completions, and symlink them when
> > something touches /usr/bin/, /usr/games/, /usr/sbin/, /sbin/, /bin/, and so
> > on.
> >
> > For this to work, the completions have been moved out from /etc/ -- they
> > would be in /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/,
> > but /etc/bash_completion.d/ is being kept not to break tons of other
> > packages installing files there.
>
> Shouldn't they be in /var/?

The symlinks created by the trigger?
I'd tend to agree -- but what sub-hierarchy would be best? /var/run/ isn't kept
across reboots, so it's not suitable; /var/cache/ smells a bit (one is supposed
to be able to purge the cache whenever she wants); maybe
/var/lib/bash-completion?

> Both /etc and /usr are writable during package installation so it won't fail.
> But is /usr really the right place for this?

They won't be written to /usr/ -- they will be written to /etc/.

This is mostly because of backwards-compatibility: bash-completion has been
in /etc/ since ages, and users are used to find completions there. I'd like
to avoid changing the layout too much in a single step :). But, at a second
thought, /var/lib/ is really the best choice to me -- so maybe I'll just
document it and do the relevant changes.

Thanks for your input,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino